Friday, March 27, 2009

Writing Conference 2009

This year started in a bit of a hurry. My room was locked, when unlocked every computer needed to be booted. The remote for the overhead was off. Getting everything set up I was late to grab my one homeschooler for the conference from across the street, but she made it anyway. Thank goodness for large signs indicating the name of the building straight across the street.

Montrose high school is on spring break, but they were here anyway to dazzle us with a poetry slam. I was dazzled. The guy who froze managed to impact me most by the way he jumped back in after the freeze. The piece had more power. It was like a pause. Someone should tell him that. He played it well.

First workshop worked well, six students and plenty of surprise at what I had planned. I hope they spread the word. I have no idea what to expect out of my second round, or what I am going to write considering I am writing everything now.

But this is a good day.

Maybe I'll write about Foer's book, and what I expect his Q and A to be like, and whether I'll have the guts to ask my question.

**********************

This is the second hour. I decided a second post was unnecessary, considering I'm just the coordinator of this blog. This one belongs to the students. The idea behind it is that they can get some blog writing practice in, some exposure, and maybe some great feedback. Best case, they get a job.

There are four with me here this second workshop, so I shut down the rest of the twenty-five computers that we didn't even use, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I've discovered the people interested in a genre are likely going to come in groups rather than individually. This time, they were just small groups.

Hopefully in the next few months I have repeat writers to this blog and we can really dress it up and attract some readership. If nothing else, it will be somewhere to write about things they don't get to write about in school, still with an air of professionalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment